This was such a good recipe we were all fighting over who got the leftovers the next day. The great thing about this recipe is you can make changes like switching the ground sausage to shrimp or a sausage you can dice into small pieces and it will still taste great! By using chili powder instead of cayenne, even your kiddos will be able to enjoy this dish.
Dirty Brown Rice with Sausage (adapted from this recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- chicken bouillon cube (reduced sodium)
- 2 bay leaves, divided
- 1/8 + 1/4 tsp chili pepper, divided
- 1/8 + 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 + 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery, diced (I’ve also made it with spinach instead of celery)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb 96% lean ground beef
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 lb mild spicy sausages (hot if your family likes some extra spice!)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook rice in rice cooker (or on stove if you don’t have a brown rice setting) adding the chicken bouillon, 1 bay leaf, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp each of salt, chili powder, paprika, and thyme.
- When the rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the oil, onions, green pepper, celery, bay leaf and garlic. Sauté on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, sausage, salt, black pepper, remaining paprika, thyme and chili powder. Sauté until browned, about 10-15 minutes.
- When the rice is done, toss with beef and sausage and combine well.
- Top with scallions and serve.Makes 6 1/2 cups. Celery version
We hope you like this dish as much as we do!
Never Give Up,
Do you have a favorite Cajun dish? If you’d like us to share it on MyFitFamily send us an email to fitfamilyco at gmail dot com.