I love things that make life easier–my crockpot, cereal on a rushed school morning–but some things that are designed to make life easier–are never quite as good as the real thing. Canned enchilada sauce is one of those things that to me, never tastes as good as my mom’s homemade sauce. And chicken mole sauce from a jar is another thing that is never as good as a homemade pot of simmering sauce.
I love that husband has come up with one of the best mole recipes I have ever tasted (sorry, Mom, I think it might be better than yours!). Even our four kids love it and always ask for seconds.Easy Homemade Chicken Mole
- 2.5 lbs boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 2 TB garlic powder
- 2 TB chili powder
- 1/2 TB salt
- 1 TB coconut sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 small onions, sliced thin
- Add water to large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add chicken, salt, garlic powder and onions, bring to boil and then simmer for 45 minutes (covered).
- Add chocolate chips.
- While chicken is still simmering, mix cornstarch in small bowl with 3 TB of water, add to chicken, stir until sauce thickens.
- Stir in 1 TB coconut sugar.
- Serve with rice (we used brown rice made with chicken broth but it would also pair well with cilantro lime rice). For extra veggies we served ours with a side of spicy cauliflower bites.
Please let us know if you try this recipe or share your own favorite mole recipe with us!
Never Give Up,