Two out of four of my children are currently gluten free. I haven’t talked much about what led us to this lifestyle change on My Fit Family because the truth is, we are still figuring things out. As soon as their pediatrician mentioned ‘possible celiac’ I knew we would, at the very least, be doing a trial period of gluten free to see how it impacted their symptoms. It’s been about a month now and I’m finding it’s becoming less daunting of a task to find gluten free alternatives to our family’s favorite meals.
Our family tries to eat healthy the majority of the time–with some indulgences and very few things on a ‘forbidden’ list. But I’ve noticed one thing I never do, is fry our food. So I was very excited when I found a super yummy, baked, home-made chicken nugget recipe that was easy and delicious! I was even happier when after a few attempts, I was able to modify the recipe to make it gluten free and just as tasty as the original version! If you don’t need to eat gluten free like my family, head on over to Gina’s site, Skinnytaste for the original and delicious non-gluten free version!
Gluten Free Baked Chicken Nuggets (adapted from Skinnytaste)
- 2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into even bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free breadcrumbs (I use this brand)
- 6 tbsp Gluten Free Italian Style Panko (I use Ian’s brand from whole foods)
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Put olive oil in a small bowl and mix in the chicken, making sure to coat the pieces evenly.
- Mix breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in a bowl and a few pieces of the chicken at a time.
- Place evenly coated nuggets on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil. Lightly spray the top of the chicken with olive oil.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, turn nuggets over and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
I love making this dish because it’s one of my kids’ favorite meals! Sometimes I’ll serve it with our lemon-garlic brussel sprouts, or just steamed veggies and most recently we tried this amazing broccoli-cauliflower recipe! Enjoy!
Never Give Up,