I originally started My Fit Family on Instagram and immediately started following lots of inspirational fitness and nutrition accounts. One of my favorite healthy food accounts is Meals Full of Color. I recently saw her post Cauliflower Tots and because I’ve been on a cauliflower kick lately, I knew I had to try them.
Tater tots use to be a childhood favorite of mine and the funny thing is my kiddos have never actually tasted them! When I told them we were having tater tots for dinner their response was: Huh?! What are those? So then I just told them they were made from cauliflower and kind of like a french fry that they could dip in ketchup–they loved them!
Cauliflower “Tater” Tots (adapted from Meals Full of Color’s recipe)
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or any cheese of your choice)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (I use olive oil)
- Remove the florets from the cauliflower and steam in the microwave for 3-4 minutes
- In a food processor, add the steamed cauliflower and lightly pulse until it resembles crumbs (like the consistency of the cauliflower ‘rice’ recipe)
- In a large bowl, add the cauliflower, bread crumbs, cheese, seasonings and egg. Mix well and form the mixture into tater tot shapes (small balls work too!).
- Place the tots on the baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for about 20 minutes (optional to turn half way through) or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
I loved that these tots were a healthy version of a childhood favorite and they were a hit with both the adults and the kids in our house.
What’s one of your childhood favorite foods?
Never Give Up,