I’ve been on a Chinese Food kick lately! We still don’t have a favorite Chinese food restaurant here in Austin, so I’ve been experimenting with trying out healthy versions of our old favorites at home. Last week we had a hit with a crock pot beef with broccoli recipe and this week I tried a healthy orange chicken recipe that sent us all back for seconds!
I can’t help but add in vegetables to our dishes–and not in the Sneaky Chef kinda way–but the, we love vegetables and I want my kids to know they are there, kinda way. I want our children to know vegetables can and should taste great, and that they can really enhance a dish–in taste, texture and even color. So when I saw the original recipe didn’t really call for veggies, I knew I’d be adding in something. I had just bought a 2 lb. bag of broccoli so I saw it as a perfect opportunity to use the veggies we had on hand.
My parents are visiting (ALWAYS a happy time for all of us!) and since my dad is gluten free, I modified the original recipe a bit to make sure it would be a dish we could all enjoy. Also, let’s talk sauce. It seems like lots of recipes skimp on the sauce. I don’t know about you, but I love a little bit extra, so that I’m not eating a plate of plain, bland rice. So doubling (and sometimes tripling!) the sauce on any dish like this is a must for our family. I’ll post the recipe exactly as I made it, but be sure to adjust it for serving size needs as well as sauce preference.
Gluten Free Orange Chicken
- 2.2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- orange chicken sauce (ingredients below)
- toppings: thinly-sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds, orange zest
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup honey (if you prefer a sweeter sauce, add a few TB of honey at a time)
- 2/3 cup gluten free soy sauce (if you prefer, you can use low sodium soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar or white cooking wine (I used cooking wine because it was what I had on hand)
- 6 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- black pepper to taste
- zest of one large orange
- 1 lb broccoli florets, steamed (I just microwaved the broccoli in a large bowl, covered for about 2.5 minutes)
- Red pepper flakes
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute for about 4-6 minutes, stir occasionally, until the chicken is browned and nearly cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk all sauce ingredients together until combined.
- Pour in the orange chicken sauce, and stir to combine.
- Let the sauce come to a boil, then boil for a minute or two, until thickened.
- Optional: add in broccoli and mix well with chicken and sauce.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over brown rice. Garnish with green onions, sesame seeds and additional orange zest. (I LOVE spice so I of course added a few dashes of red pepper flakes to my plate).
This served 4 adults and 3 1/2 children (Baby=1/2)–all the big kids went back for seconds and so did I! You may want to half the recipe to suit your needs (but if there are leftovers, I promise it’ll be eaten the next day).
Please let us know if you try it! Also, if you have a recipe you’d like us to review, email it to fitfamilyco@gmail. com!
Never Give Up,