Austin weather can be crazy! Over the weekend I ran in gorgeous temps with a high of 70 and two days later school was canceled because of ice and a low of 28. I love making soup when it’s cold, so I decided to make one of my kiddos’ favorites: chicken noodle soup. I have read through a few different recipes; some made in the crockpot, some stovetop while some are creamy and others are more on the healthy side. And I came up with a super easy, nutritious combination of my favorites. You could modify the recipe and cook it all on the stove but I like the crockpot because once the main ingredients have been seared or sauteed, you can throw it in and forget about it until just a few minutes before serving it up.
I love adding kale to things for extra nutrients so I added a few handfuls into our soup. It’s packed with Vitamins A & C–perfect for keeping your little ones’ healthy throughout the winter!
Kale Tip! Tear the leaves off the step before chopping–the stem is bitter.
MyFitFamily’s Nutritious & Easy Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 oz uncooked whole grain/wheat noodles
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups kale, chopped (this is an estimate–we love kale so I’m guessing I used more!)
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- Using one tsp of olive oil, pan sear the chicken breast on both sides (a few minutes per side, chicken will not be cooked through), seasoning lightly with salt and pepper, add to crockpot and cover with chicken broth.
- Use the remaining olive oil to saute the onion, garlic, carrots and celery for about 3 minutes. Add vegetables to the crockpot.
- Add the bay leaf and parsley to the crockpot and let cook on low for 5 hours.
- About 15 minutes before you are ready to serve, remove bay leaf and add the kale and noodles. The kale will cook down to small pieces. Add salt to taste.
So yummy! The kale had only been in for a few minutes when I took this picture–it cooks down even more.
Do you have a favorite soup recipe for a cold day! Post the recipe link in the comments below or just tell us what kind it is!
Never Give Up,